What does success mean to you?
The importance of your answer to this question cannot be overstated.
The way you see your success is key to determining how you live you life.
In fact, your version of success should by the eventual aim all your decisions lead towards.
Today, Destroy The Fear will share three powerful questions to help you discover exactly what success means to you.
What are your values?
Knowing your deepest guiding values is essential to determining your own definition of success.
You want to have self knowledge of your deepest principles.
What is it that you hold most dear?
What are the ethical concepts that are the yardstick by which you base your most important decisions?
Check out these ideas for using values to determine what success means to you:
- List. Make a list of all possible values. Doing this will get you to consider values beyond the obvious ones that spring to mind right away.
- Rank. By prioritizing your values, you gain a clear understanding into which matter more to you, and why.
- Integrate. Ensure your current goals are aligned with your values in a meaningful way.
Knowing your values on a deep level is the essential first step to understanding what success means to you.
Taking the time to do this will pay off in the long run and help you live a deeper level of success due to living in line with your values.
Which areas of your life matter the most?
As humans, we have limited resources.
Therefore, when determining what success means to you at any given time, it’s vital to consider the various areas of your life you may wish to focus on.
Choosing a few key areas of your life to prioritise in your pursuit of success will lead to far better outcomes that spreading yourself too thin and focusing on too many things at once.
So how do you determine which areas of your life are worthy of your limited attention at any given time?
- Map your time. By tracking your time, you are able to see clearly where you currently devote your energy to. The results might surprise you. We often spend more time on certain activities in reality than we do in our own minds. By mapping out your time, you can consider whether you are spending it in line with your success values.
- Think about impact. Consider the areas of your life where you can make the most impact. The Pareto principle is relevant here. Often, 80% of our results will come from roughly 20% of our activities. Consider the areas of your life where you can make the most impact.
- Consider self-esteem. Ultimately, we seek success to maximise our potential as humans and to feel good about ourselves. Consider the areas of your life where success would bring you the maximum amount of self-esteem. By focusing on these areas, you ensure you will have the most emotional reward for your efforts.
We all have a limited amount of time to devote to our success.
Therefore, consider the areas of your life carefully where success will have the maximum level of benefit in line with your values.
What’s the timescale you’re working with?
One of the most important aspects of measuring your success is ensuring you think in the long term.
We live in a society and a culture which prioritises short term results over long term reward.
Therefore, it’s important to rewire your thinking and learn to set goals which are in the long term.
Don’t think of success in terms of the short term impact you can make.
Instead, learn to think about success in terms of the long term change you are able to integrate into your life.
So what are some ways you can ensure your view of success is oriented in the long term?
- Think long-term. Most people tend to underestimate what they are able to achieve in the long term. By truly thinking long term, you should be unafraid to dream big. Think about the true eventual vision you have for your life. This will ensure you don’t put false limits on your vision of what success means for you.
- Break it down. It can be daunting to have a long term vision for your own success. After all, it involves implementing significant change in your life. As humans, we are naturally inclined to stay deep inside our comfort zones. Therefore, overcoming this urge is essential. You need to break down your eventual vision of success into smaller stages. This makes it achievable and less psychologically scary to take on.
- Make it actionable. When our idea of eventual success isn’t actionable, it means we don’t see a way of achieving it. It’s essential to make each stage of your eventual vision of success an actionable aim. This ensures that you can carry out the first step in any success plan and begin taking the action you need to get to where you want to go.
Breaking down your timescale for success is essential to making your vision manageable.
As well as thinking in terms of what success means to you, you should also spend time thinking about when you want to achieve various aspects of your success by.
Doing this turns a massive goal into a manageable series of steps, enabling you to begin taking action.
What does success mean to you? – Final Thoughts
Thanks for checking out Destroy The Fear’s exploration of the question ‘what does success mean to you?’.
Having a clear definition of your own success is incredibly motivating.
It gives you a defined destination to guide all your choices and decisions towards.
Everyone’s definition of success is personal. You need to take the time to answer the questions that will lead you towards your own.
No matter what type of success you settle on, you need to ensure that it is in line with your deepest values, and that you set your sights firmly on the long term.
Doing this will bring you a meaningful sense of personal satisfaction to go with your more outer sense of achievement.